fbpx

Jacques Cartier Bridge

Lost in time

On August 9, 1926, the cornerstone was laid into Pier 26 at the corner of Notre-Dame Street and Craig Street (now Saint-Antoine Street) across from a spot called “the foot of the current” (“Au Pied du Courant”). No one knows the exact location of the stone on the pier, but we do know it contains a time capsule with the following 59 objects:

  • Annual reports of the Harbour Commissioners of Montreal for 1922, 1923, 1924 and 1925.
  • Copies of the following newspapers dated August 7, 1926:
    • The Montreal Gazette
    • The Montreal Star
    • The Montreal Herald
    • The Montreal Standard
    • La Presse
    • La Patrie
    • Le Devoir
    • Le Canada
  • The following 1925 currency:
    • 1-cent coin (large and small)
    • 5-cent coin (large and small)
    • 10-cent coin
    • 25-cent coin
    • 50-cent coin
    • 5-dollar gold coin
    • New 1-dollar and 2-dollar bills
  • Three aerial photographs of the Port of Montreal
  • Two calendars of the Harbour Commissioners of Montreal for 1926 (French and English)
  • Two illustrated pamphlets issued by the Harbour Commissioners of Montreal in 1924 (French and English)
  • Three different-sized plans of the Port of Montreal
  • A plan of the city of Montreal
  • A plan of the city of Saint-Lambert
  • A plan of the city of Longueuil
  • A plan of the province of Quebec
  • A map of Canada
  • Three maps of the Montreal region
  • A small drawing of the South Shore Bridge
  • A copy of the speaking notes for Dr. Milton Hersey, Commissioner
  • A summary of the milestones for the construction of the South Shore Bridge
  • A map of the Port of Montreal
  • Three drawings of the South Shore Bridge
  • The 1925 annual report of the Ville de Montréal
  • The three volumes of W. H. Atherton’s history of Montreal
  • An annual report of the Montreal Sailors’ Institute
  • An annual report of the Catholic Sailors’ Club
  • A copy of the history of the Catholic Sailors’ Club
  • A copy of the Acts of Parliament regarding the Harbour Commissioners of Montreal
  • A copy of the municipal bylaw regarding the Harbour Commissioners of Montreal
  • A copy of L’Histoire de Montréal, written by Adrien Leblond de Brumath and published by Librairie Beauchemin.
  • A copy of the “Mémoires de la Société historique de Montréal,” written by François Dollier de Casson and published in 1868.
  • A copy of Faits curieux de l’Histoire de Montréal, written by E.-Z. MassicotteCommunauté Patrimoine Jacques-Cartier capsule Pile 26 2