fbpx About | PJCCI

About

This tunnel is located directly under the Beauharnois Canal and allows for the ongoing passage of both road and maritime traffic. It links Beauharnois Downtown sector to Beauharnois West sector.

About
In a nutshell
In a nutshell

Opening: 1957
Total length of the bridge: 1,4 km
Annual traffic flow: estimated at 1,7 million passings

Construction
  • The tunnel is made up of 18 caissons and a traffic lane in each direction, a sidewalk on the north side, and three ventilation shafts (one air exhaust and two air intakes).
  • The two traffic directions are separated by a central support structure that forms the first ventilation shaft (the air exhaust).
  • The caissons lie directly on the bedrock.
Construction
Maintenance

In 1968, the tunnel was restored and resurfaced. Since then, maintenance work on the tunnel, such as pavement repairs, cleaning and painting of the walls, and restoration of the approaches, has been ongoing to preserve the structure’s integrity and to ensure users can use the tunnel safely and efficiently.

Maintenance
Maintenance

Any questions? 

Live traffic
Road Traffic
Toward East:
Toward West:
Active Mobility
Sidewalk Closed for the winter season
Go to top