20 January 2021
Full-time, permanent and unionized position – 37.5 h/week 2020 salary based on years of experience: $75,185.39 to $107,698.01
As a manager of important infrastructure, The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (the Corporation) is a federal Crown corporation established in 1978 that is responsible for the Jacques Cartier Bridge, the Champlain Bridge, the Champlain Bridge Ice Control Structure, the Île des Soeurs Bypass Bridge, the federal sections of Bonaventure Expressway and the Honoré Mercier Bridge, as well as the Melocheville Tunnel.
Every day, the Corporation ensures a safe drive for thousands of users by managing, maintaining and repairing this important infrastructure for Greater Montreal. The Corporation also ensures that these critical structures remain safe, fully functional and aesthetically pleasing both today and in the future. It conducts construction, rehabilitation and reinforcement projects on the infrastructure under its responsibility and oversees the operation and maintenance of these structures.
Reporting to the Director, Construction, the selected candidate will be responsible for implementing the Corporation’s maintenance program by carrying out major projects in the Honoré Mercier corridor and the Melocheville Tunnel. In this role, you will provide technical assistance and support to managers, receive and analyze studies, reports, plans and specifications, and recommend actions to be taken. You will manage construction contracts and external consultants. This will include planning; budget, cost, and deadline control; and the processing of complaints and extra work. You will work closely with external monitoring firms and external consultants that the Corporation hires every year to perform work supervision and quality assurance. You will also play an advisory role for the managers of the Construction Department and project directors by analyzing reports, plans and specifications and recommending the best actions to achieve corporate objectives.
• Administer all aspects and deliverables of the contracts assigned to you as per quality standards and strategic orientations while following project-based management principles.
• Prepare reference terms to award contracts to external consultants for the supervision of major maintenance work, quality assurance through testing laboratories, and claims analysis.
• Serve as an effective liaison between the design teams responsible for technical assistance and the construction teams.
• Follow up on professional service contracts and major maintenance contracts according to project-based management principles.
• Effectively communicate with your Director and the Project Director and inform them of any issues related to contract management.
• Collaborate effectively with the entire project team as well as with successful tenderers.
• Ensure that construction contracts are executed in compliance with the requirements of JCCBI’s plans and specifications, including environmental and occupational health and safety standards and legislation.
• Assist site supervision teams and visit work sites to ensure that the work is advancing and is of the required quality.
• Participate in all site meetings and inform the project team of any issues that may have an impact on the project timetable.
• Attend regular project monitoring meetings and work with the Project Director to inform them of the status of contracts for each area.
• Prepare authorizations for additional work and track progress reports for payments to external consultants and contractors.
• Track project milestones and financial forecasts according to accounting schedules.
• Coordinate major work in JCCBI’s network with different internal and external stakeholders.
• With JCCBI’s Engineering Department, help prepare calls for tenders to award construction contracts.
Work planning and analysis
• Review studies prepared by external consultants and issue recommendations to the department, validate any measures to be taken, and follow up on their implementation.
• Identify issues and provide recommendations to address them.
• Sit on various committees or discussion panels related to your field of expertise, such as contract reviews with the Engineering Department.
• Help the department’s senior management prepare budgets and plan work.
• Give assistance to the Project Director, for example, by providing relevant information to prepare various reports and documents and by monitoring contracts.
• Help the Director, Construction develop and deploy tools to improve the quality of deliverables from external consultants and continuously improve internal services.
• Collect and analyze documentation to improve knowledge of our structures, in collaboration with the Asset Management Department and Project Department.
• Carry out all other tasks or responsibilities related to your position.
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, ideally with an option in structural engineering.
• Additional training in project management would be an asset.
• Be a member in good standing of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ).
• Have at least five (5) years of relevant experience in civil engineering.
• Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in managing and administering major construction and maintenance projects ($1M to $30M), combined with a minimum of three (3) years of experience supervising repairs to bridges and/or civil engineering structures and/or concrete and/or steel structures.
• Have good knowledge of engineering and construction standards in relation to bridges, roads, tunnels, culverts, viaducts, walls, dams, pylons and/or any other civil engineering structure.
• Have skills in the supervision and administration of assigned contracts, including evaluating work, holding meetings and negotiating payments.
• Be familiar with applicable and recognized construction safety standards as well as with the concepts of sustainable development.
• Be able to visit structures using fixed or moving structures (i.e., the candidate must not have a fear of heights or confined spaces).
• Be an excellent communicator with strong presentation skills.
• Have good writing and negotiation skills.
• Demonstrate an interest and ability in stakeholder management.
• Demonstrate political tact and an ability to influence others.
• Show a good ability to collaborate and work with a team.
• Demonstrate a good ability to think strategically while respecting existing governance processes.
• Show discipline and attention to detail.
• Demonstrate an ability to plan and organize under pressure and an ability to meet goals and deadlines.
• Show an excellent ability to manage multiple projects at once and to set urgent priorities.
• Have strong analytical and synthesis skills.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite including MS Project.
• Knowledge of SAP is an asset.
• Have ASP certification to work at a construction site.
• Have a valid Class 5 driver’s licence.
• Have an excellent command of spoken and written French and English.
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant environment in a solid organization whose key values are teamwork, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
The job location is easily accessible by public transit and automobile (parking available). We offer competitive compensation and a full benefits package, which includes a federal public service pension plan.
Join the Bridge family; send your resume and cover letter to:
Mr François Piché-Roy,
President, Founder and Senior consultant Pixcell