The tunnel was created by the St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation (SLSMC) in 1956-1957 as part of the seaway development.
This structure remained under the SLSMC’s authority until October 1, 1998, when it was transferred to JCCBI. Since then, the Corporation has been responsible for the tunnel’s operations, maintenance and administration.
For over 20 years, it was known as the “Beauharnois Tunnel”, and in 1991 it was officially renamed the “Melocheville Tunnel.”
Construction of the tunnel finishes. The tunnel extends Hwy. 132 under the locks of the Beauharnois Canal in Melocheville.
In 1956, the SLSMC oversaw the construction of the Melocheville Tunnel.
At the time, this federal body was responsible for operating, managing and maintaining this tunnel that passes under the St. Lawrence Seaway near the Beauharnois generating station.
The tunnel was built during the construction of the Beauharnois Canal.
To help expand the seaway in 1954, the Parliament of Canada tabled an act to let the government acquire several tracts of land for the construction, operation and maintenance of a waterway between the Port of Montreal and Lake Erie. The St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation (SLSMC) was therefore created to manage the development and administrative activities of this new river route.