Engineer, Engineering Department
Full-time permanent position – 37.5 h/week
2019 salary depending on years of experience: $ 73,711.17 $ to $105,586.28
At The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI), our teams work together to keep users safe by managing, maintaining and rehabilitating our infrastructure, optimizing traffic flow, and respecting the environment.
Join JCCBI for an exciting career! Become part of a growing organization that offers interesting challenges.
Reporting to the Director, Engineering Department, the selected candidate will be responsible for implementing the Corporation’s maintenance program through current and future civil engineering projects on its structures. In this role, the Engineer will develop and supervise the different steps of consulting contracts for the design of projects. This includes planning; budget, cost, deadline and quality control; and the analysis and handling of claims and contract amendments as part of engineering contract management. The selected candidate will also provide technical assistance and support to managers and will receive, analyze and comment on studies, reports, drawings and specifications.
Contract management (85%)
- Prepare the reference terms to award contracts to consultants for professional study and design services (from the prefeasibility study to the development of drawings and specifications) related to the structures of bridges, viaducts tunnels and roads as well as for technical assistance during the work.
- Administer all aspects and deliverables of consulting contracts according to quality standards and strategic orientations.
- Review studies and drawings and specifications prepared by consultants and issue recommendations to the Director, validate any measures to be taken, and follow up on their implementation.
- Review and comment on construction specifications.
- Ensure that engineering contracts are executed in compliance with the requirements of the contract specifications (quality of deliverables, budgets and deadlines).
- Efficiently inform consultants, directors, the project team and the construction team and ensure communication between these parties.
- Prepare authorizations for contract modifications.
- Track progress reports for payments to consultants and monitor work schedule deadlines and control financial forecasts.
- Work with the Director, Engineering to coordinate the professional services of consultants hired to design projects related to major maintenance, structural inspections, various studies and technical assistance.
Work planning and analysis (15%)
- Help the management team develop planning for projects and processes and prepare budgets.
- Assist the Director, Engineering by providing relevant information to prepare various reports and by tracking contracts and/or projects.
- Identify issues and provide recommendations to address them.
- Represent the Corporation at meetings with partners.
- Help develop standardized specifications and reference terms.
- Help improve the Corporation’s operational processes.
- Carry out all other tasks or responsibilities related to the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, ideally with an option in structural engineering.
- Additional training in project management would be an asset.
- Be a member in good standing of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ).
- Have a minimum of 3 years of experience (as a member of the OIQ) in the evaluation and rehabilitation of bridges and/or civil engineering structures and/or concrete/steel structures, including 1 year in project management.
- Have a certificate of training in structural maintenance and design issued by the Ministère des Transports du Québec (an asset).
- Have good knowledge of current engineering and construction practices in relation to bridges, tunnels, culverts, viaducts, walls, dams, pylons and/or any other civil engineering structure.
- Be familiar with the construction standards for roads and civil engineering structures (an asset).
- Have skills in the supervision and administration of assigned contracts, including evaluating work, holding meetings and negotiating payments.
- Be able to visit structures using fixed or moving devices (i.e., you must not have a fear of heights or confined spaces).
- Be familiar with the applicable and recognized safety standards for construction.
- Know how to use Excel (advanced), Access, Word, Outlook and Internet Explorer.
- Be independent and show initiative; be able to take the lead for various files.
- Have good organizational and priority management skills as well as sound judgment.
- Have good team work skills and an ability to get involved.
- Be resourceful, open, and curious and show a desire to find information.
- Have excellent writing and communication skills.
- Mastery of written and spoken French and ability to communicate verbally in English.
WHAT WE OFFER
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant work environment at a strong organization whose key values are team work, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
We offer a workplace that is accessible by public transit and car (parking available), a competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a pension plan with the federal public service.
Join the JCCBI family and send your CV and cover letter to: