Project Control Officer (PCO) Intern, Finance Division
27 May 2021
Internship position at a unionized workplace – 37.5 hrs./week
Hourly pay between $16.50 and $18.50 (current salaries),
depending on the candidate’s scholarship and experience
Length of internship: four months / Fall 2021, exact dates to be confirmed
As a manager of important infrastructure, The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (the Corporation) is a federal Crown corporation established in 1978 that is responsible for the Jacques Cartier Bridge, the Champlain Bridge, the Champlain Bridge Ice Control Structure, the Île des Soeurs Bypass Bridge, the federal sections of Bonaventure Expressway and the Honoré Mercier Bridge, as well as the Melocheville Tunnel.
Every day, the Corporation ensures a safe drive for thousands of users by managing, maintaining and repairing this important infrastructure for Greater Montreal. The Corporation also ensures that these critical structures remain safe, fully functional and aesthetically pleasing both today and in the future. It conducts construction, rehabilitation and reinforcement projects on the infrastructure under its responsibility and oversees the operation and maintenance of these structures.
Get on the right track with the Corporation, where great projects are waiting for you!
Reporting directly to the Manager, Budgets and Information Management, the PCO Intern, Finance Division, will perform various administrative tasks related to the monitoring of the costs, scope, master schedule and baseline budget of assigned projects. The candidate will have to work on optimization and development projects and help implement new procedures and work methods to ensure management information is regularly updated. You will also contribute to the analysis of information and data received and must anticipate issues and trends while proposing solutions.
- Work closely with the project and planning teams to implement project plans, specifically the project baseline schedules and budgets.
- Apply the existing project planning and monitoring process and issue recommendations for use based on best practices and the Corporation’s context.
- Ensure documentation quality by adhering to the prevailing project management methodology and standards.
- When asked by the Director, Projects, attend kick-off, follow-up and close-out meetings related to projects and/or contracts and ensure that budget and monitoring records are archived in accordance with the Corporation’s current procedures.
- Support the Project Director to monitor the progress, timetable and budgets of prefeasibility studies and projects according to standards in order to identify trends and/or imminent risks.
- Support the sector leads, coordinators, and the Project Director by regularly tracking activity progress and the budget status of assigned projects to verify that they are being completed according to the baseline schedule and baseline budget and while ensuring quality and the satisfaction of internal clients.
- Regularly update different registers.
- In close collaboration with the coordinator, help prepare requests for changes to the project.
- Enter activity progress reports and contract financial status reports into the SAP system and PWA or ensure quality if these reports are provided by a third party.
- Update the project schedule using existing tools.
- Help produce accountability documents for senior managers related to projects and major work.
- Produce exception reports using existing project-based management systems/tools.
- Help optimize tools that support the control of contract management.
- Help analyze project-related risks.
- Suggest and/or carry out project monitoring tasks.
- Support the Director with project monitoring using key performance indicators and dashboards.
- Provide and ensure support for sector leads in relation to their contract management with respect to the use of different project management tools.
- Collect and compile data on costs and prepare regular and special reports, when required, for the monitoring committees.
- Help the sector leads, coordinators and project directors track cost changes in order to identify, measure and qualify variances in relation to the project’s baseline budget and the approved corporate budget plan.
- Seek funds if required and prepare budget transfers as needed, in collaboration with the Finance team.
- Help reconcile project budgets with the budgets of the Corporation.
- Work with different stakeholders on quarterly and end-of-year budgetary process activities.
- Carry out all other tasks or responsibilities related to your position.
- Be in a bachelor’s program in finance or administration.
- Working knowledge of the following software is an asset: SAP, Oracle, PWA.
- Knowledge of project management and budget tracking/control principles.
- Have good knowledge of the following software: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Be able to work in a changing and growing environment.
- Show discipline as well as attention to detail and quality control skills.
- Have analytical skills with a sense of pragmatism.
- Be able to communicate orally and in writing in both official languages.
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant work environment at a strong organization whose key values are team work, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
Send us your resume, cover letter and transcript to [email protected]. Please specify which internship interests you.