JCCBI and NHSL are committed to effectively and transparently handling the deconstruction materials to ensure that the entire project is managed from a sustainable development approach.
A material traceability program lets the teams monitor in real time the path that materials take off site on their way to be reused.
Photo: A truck being weighed when exiting the work site.
Material transportation steps:
- The main leftover materials from the Champlain Bridge deconstruction project are concrete and steel.
- These materials are separated directly at the site and transported to authorized recycling centres.
- They are transported with trucks that are tracked with a GPS system.
- All trucks are weighed as they exit the site.
- The trucks are weighed again when they enter the recycling facility, and these two weights are compared by a computer system to ensure that all volumes are accounted for.
- This close monitoring ensures that the transported materials are duly tracked and that a record is kept of all volumes.