Electrical-ITS Technician, Operations and Maintenance Directorate
3 February 2021
Unionized temporary full-time position (March 31st 2023) – 40 hrs. /week
Salary 2020 according to years of experience: $71 708,82 to $91 579,94
As a manager of important infrastructure, The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (the Corporation) is a federal Crown corporation established in 1978 that is responsible for the Jacques Cartier Bridge, the Champlain Bridge Ice Control Structure, the Île des Sœurs Bypass Bridge, the federal sections of Bonaventure Expressway and the Honoré Mercier Bridge, as well as the Melocheville Tunnel.
Every day, the Corporation ensures a safe drive for thousands of users by managing, maintaining and repairing this important infrastructure for Greater Montreal. The Corporation also ensures that these critical structures remain safe, fully functional and aesthetically pleasing both today and in the future. It conducts construction, rehabilitation and reinforcement projects on the infrastructure under its responsibility and oversees the operation and maintenance of these structures.
Reporting to the Manager, Operations and Maintenance, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing and planning various types of maintenance, upgrade and commissioning work and for coordinating ad-hoc and urgent work by various teams while ensuring that this work complies with the applicable standards for all of the Corporation’s intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and monitoring, telecommunications, and electrical systems. You will be responsible for various types of technical and administrative work to track your projects and contracts. You will act as a super-user of systems related to the Integrated Traffic Management System (ITMS).
You will use your technical and management knowledge to draft reports as well as tender documents for the contracts under your responsibility and supervise activities to administer these contracts. You will make recommendations for adapting and improving systems. You will share your tasks non-exclusively with another technician with the same title. You will provide service continuity when this technician is away or on vacation.
- Oversee the operation and maintenance of equipment and devices to maintain the effective operation of ITS systems while developing and optimizing preventive maintenance programs.
- Supervise the integration and configuration of ITS, telecommunications and electrical distribution equipment including, but not limited to, needs analysis (labour, material, equipment, budget), resource deployment, and administrative and budgetary control and tracking.
- Participate in the tendering process for your contracts, including preparing technical documents, analyzing proposals and awarding contracts, as well as preparing and tracking budgets.
- Ensure that the projects, work and maintenance carried out on behalf of the Corporation is compliant with various federal and provincial standards and regulations (technical, environmental, health and safety) in all areas covered by this position.
- Oversee problem detection.
- Analyze problems with systems and processes and recommend changes.
- Approve, coordinate and implement changes to equipment, including setting up parameters for the ITMS.
- Constantly evaluate the impacts of changes on operations.
- Help the project team with the commissioning and acceptance of ITS, telecommunications and electrical distribution systems and coordinate their operation.
- In some cases, inspect work quality and the condition of equipment and structures; recommend actions; examine and evaluate components that you are responsible for; perform technical surveys; and submit reports to the individuals concerned.
- Prepare deliverables related to changes, including documentation, asset categorization and training materials.
- Help train users on different functionalities of the implemented systems and changes and perform knowledge transfer.
- Ensure that users receive the appropriate support and a high level of service performance and availability.
- Receive, follow up on, and manage access to requests for technical assistance.
- Help with the operational back-up plan and confirm this plan through equipment testing.
- Organize and conduct site visits; guide consultants and contractors in the preparation of technical plans and documents.
- Work closely with the business analyst and network administrator.
- Receive and process lockout, service locate, and confined space entry requests according to established procedures.
- Perform any other job-related tasks and duties.
Specific work conditions
- Rotating on-call duty. During these periods, you must be reachable at all times and be available to respond to and resolve any emergencies that may arise. Live close enough to be able to travel quickly to your place of work within a reasonable amount of time.
- Have a college diploma in a relevant discipline such as automation, electrical engineering, or industrial electronics with a telecommunications concentration.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience, including five (5) years in the field of ITS, supervision, telecommunications and electrical engineering.
- Have in-depth knowledge of networking and programmable logic controllers (TCP/IP).
- Have three (3) to five (5) years of experience supervising work teams.
- Knowledge of electromechanics is an asset.
- Knowledge of Cisco products is an asset.
- Be familiar with the different applicable standards in your field.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Be able to work at heights.
- Be available to occasionally work shifts.
- Be able to use the following software: Word (intermediate), Excel (intermediate), Project (basic) and Outlook (basic).
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in both official languages.
- Show independence and initiative.
- Show an ability to collaborate and work with a team.
- Demonstrate a high degree of organization to meet deadlines for multiple projects at once.
- Have good influencing and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrate a desire to deliver operational and service excellence to the users of technology solutions.
- Show discipline as well as attention to detail and quality control.
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant environment in a solid organization whose key values are teamwork, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
The job location is easily accessible by public transit and automobile (parking available). We offer competitive compensation and a full benefits package, which includes a federal public service pension plan.
Join the Bridge family; send your resume and cover letter to:
Recruteur senior, Associé / Senior recruiter, partner