14 November 2019
Full-time, permanent and unionized position – 37.5 h/week
At The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI), our teams work together to keep users safe by managing, maintaining and rehabilitating our infrastructure, optimizing traffic flow, and respecting the environment.
Join JCCBI for an exciting career! Become part of a growing organization that offers interesting challenges.
As part of its different activities to keep its portfolio of civil engineering structures in good condition, the Corporation plans, develops and carries out major maintenance work on its assets (bridges, viaducts, tunnels, roads, intelligent transportation systems, etc.) to make sure that people can safely use them and that they last as long as possible. When planning its work, the Corporation must also consider the current and future needs of users, how its structures fit into their urban surroundings, environmental protection, as well as different aspects of sustainable development.
The mission of the Engineering Department is to develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of its structures in order to efficiently develop repair and development contracts from a standpoint of sustainable development and while providing access to information about the Corporation’s inventory of assets and their current condition.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Operations you will be responsible for ensuring that the Engineering Department carries out its mission. You will have the support of twenty (20) employees as well as the cooperation of all the Corporation staff.
You will help Senior Management take the required action to establish technical standards and practices (reference terms and standard and specific construction specifications) and establish and maintain the information required for efficient operational management.
For projects under the responsibility of a Project Director, the Engineering Department allocates the required engineering resources to this director to create the reference terms and plans and specifications and to provide technical assistance during the work. In these cases, you will supervise and assist these engineers.
You will also act as an engineering expert and leader for the Corporation and recommend best practices. In this capacity, you will establish policies, propose and implement improvements to current practices, and help in decision-making with regard to the directions that the Corporation must take.
• As Director, Engineering, you will be responsible for planning, developing, directing and evaluating all activities related to your department. More specifically, you will establish different activities that the department must perform every year and for the next ten years. You will plan and organize the work of all resources in the department, suggest the required resources (human, financial and material) to carry out the department’s activities, and direct the department’s work and activities. You will also monitor new practices to verify the actual impact compared to the expected impact and make any necessary adjustments;
• You will direct contract launch activities related to the department’s activities and ensure that the various services provided by your teams meet the expected quality level;
• You will establish technical standards and practices;
• You will inform senior management and project directors about the status of different projects and different initiatives;
• You will prepare different accountability reports that the Corporation must submit to the government;
• You will oversee the management of operations related to the Corporation’s retaining walls;
• You will manage staff, which includes coaching your team and defining its priorities. You will develop a culture of collaboration, sharing and discipline and foster a respectful work environment;
• You will propose the required budgets to carry out the activities related to your sector. You will take part in the process to prepare annual budgets and follow up on the Department’s budget and the contracts under its responsibility;
• You will stay up-to-date with existing and emerging practices: you will attend occasional networking events to raise the Corporation’s profile and remain at the forefront of the latest trends and innovations in your field.
• Hold an undergraduate degree from a recognized university with a specialization in civil engineering; a graduate degree in civil engineering, with a specialization in structural engineering or project management, would be considered an asset;
• Be a member of l’Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec;
• Have a minimum of 12 years of experience in civil engineering structures, including at least 5 years in a management role;
• Have served as a senior project manager for large-scale projects in the public and private sectors;
• Have experience in supervising staff;
• Have experience with contract management: identification of needs, contract drafting, procurement, contractual monitoring (deliverables, quality, deadlines and cost);
• Have in-depth knowledge of the laws, regulations, standards, trends, orientations, and recent developments in your field of expertise;
• Have good writing skills and a strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively;
• Inspiring leadership, remarkable interpersonal skills, and the ability to motivate employees using a collaborative and continuous improvement approach;
• Change management skills and client-focused approach;
• A genuine appreciation for innovation. Organization and planning skills;
• Analytical skills. Sense of synthesis;
• Attention to detail and quality;
• Be recognized for your expertise, thoroughness and team spirit;
• Integrity: behave with sincerity, decency and honesty;
• Show scientific curiosity and independence;
• Working knowledge of Excel, Word, Access, and MS Project;
• Fluent in English and French, both written and spoken.
WHAT WE OFFER
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant work environment at a strong organization whose key values are teamwork, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
We offer a workplace that is accessible by public transit and car (parking available), a competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a pension plan with the federal public service.
Join the JCCBI family and send your CV and cover letter to:
Karine Robert, Associate
recrutement & conseils, S.E.N.C.