Civil Engineering Technician 2 Research and Applications Directorate (RAD)
26 January 2021
Full-time, permanent and unionized position – 37.5 hrs/week
2020 annual salary depending on years of experience: $67 227.03 to $85 856.22
As a manager of important infrastructure, The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (the Corporation) is a federal Crown corporation established in 1978 that is responsible for the Jacques Cartier Bridge, the Champlain Bridge, the Champlain Bridge Ice Control Structure, the Île des Sœurs Bypass Bridge, the federal sections of Bonaventure Expressway and the Honoré Mercier Bridge, as well as the Melocheville Tunnel.
Every day, the Corporation ensures a safe drive for thousands of users by managing, maintaining and repairing this important infrastructure for Greater Montreal. The Corporation also ensures that these critical structures remain safe, fully functional and aesthetically pleasing both today and in the future. It conducts construction, rehabilitation and reinforcement projects on the infrastructure under its responsibility and oversees the operation and maintenance of these structures.
Reporting to the Technical Director, Research and Applications Directorate (RAD), the selected candidate will be responsible for performing a variety of technical tasks related to the design and development of engineering, university research, construction, and maintenance projects for major civil engineering structures.
- In collaboration with engineers and the Technical Director (RAD), provide technical expertise to monitor professional service and research contracts and ensure that they are properly carried out as per the requirements of the contract agreements (quality, scope of work, costs, and deadlines).
- Inform engineers of any issues and problems and suggest solutions and recommendations.
- Help prepare additional work authorizations (change orders and amendments).
- Help collect data required for research projects, including the preparation of digital models and prototypes using modelling software such as Civil 3D.
- Help the RAD engineers with their tasks by playing an advisory role and providing technical and administrative support, including preparing and revising documents, retrieving information, compiling data, and preparing supervision reports as needed.
- Work with the engineering draftsperson with computer-aided design and the preparation of sketches using CAD software.
- Visit work sites and research facilities to assist engineers and perform surveys and inspections.
- Implement monitoring tools, analyze established processes and propose measures to optimize the work of different internal and external stakeholders and increase work efficiency.
- Work with various stakeholders in the Corporation’s other departments.
- Carry out all other tasks or responsibilities related to this position.
- Have a diploma of college studies in civil engineering.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in structures, including a minimum of three (3) years of experience in engineering consulting.
- Be able to clearly understand and read plans, specifications and technical drawings.
- Be proficient with at least one type of 3D drawing software, such as Civil 3D or others.
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, and Outlook), MS Project (advanced), MS Access (advanced), and AutoCAD software for computer-aided design (CAD).
- Be able to access structures using fixed or moving devices (i.e., the candidate must not be afraid of heights or confined spaces).
- Be a team player who has a recognized ability to develop positive interpersonal relationships.
- Show thoroughness and a focus on continuous improvement; be versatile and flexible.
- Demonstrate good organizational and prioritization skills when dealing with simultaneous and unexpected requests.
- In a context of organizational change, show initiative and openness when carrying out your tasks.
- Have experience using geographical data processing systems/software (an asset).
- Have ASP certification to work at a construction site.
- Have a valid class 5 driver’s licence.
- Have a mastery of written and spoken French and an ability to communicate verbally in English.
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant environment in a solid organization whose key values are teamwork, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
The job location is easily accessible by public transit and automobile (parking available). We offer competitive compensation and a full benefits package, which includes a federal public service pension plan.
Join the Bridge family; send your resume and cover letter to:
Mr. Martin Mercier
Technogénie, Talent acquisition experts