Illumination of Jacques Cartier Bridge
Living Connections: a lighting concept of the illumination of the Jacques-Cartier Bridge
The Corporation is proud to lend its expertise to the illumination of the Jacques Cartier Bridge, a key project for the celebrations of the 150th anniversary of Canadian Confederation and the 375th anniversary of Montreal. This project will strike the imagination and bring people together while showcasing the city’s incredible heritage.
The Jacques Cartier Bridge is an emblem of the Greater Montreal area because of its history and unique architecture. One of the great engineering feats of the 20th century, the bridge is used every day by thousands of people to cross the St. Lawrence River.
Illuminating a major icon of the Montreal landscape is an immense challenge. The Corporation is therefore joining its expertise in civil engineering and large-scale project management with the creative talent of Moment Factory to make this project a success.
Living Connections is a unique interactive lighting concept that, for years to come, will be activated in real time by the seasons and the energy of the city.
- The Corporation is the project manager and project authority.
- The $39.5-million budget includes all costs for the concept, design, system purchases, execution, operations and maintenance for 10 years.
- The preliminary concept was created by Moment Factory in collaboration with six Montreal multimedia and lighting studios: Ambiances Design Productions, ATOMIC3, Éclairage Public / Ombrages, Lucion Média, Réalisations and UDO Design.
- Lighting will be directed to four areas of the bridge’s steel superstructure: the turrets, piers, interior core, and exterior skin.
- The lighting will be soft and directed towards the structure. Light loss will be minimized to reduce light pollution and avoid washing out starlight.
- Conducted by the consortium WSP–Aecom, engineering work has been advancing since fall 2015. The ongoing engineering work includes biological, physical and human impact assessments to ensure that the project seamlessly fits into its natural and urban environment.
- The lighting system will be installed by Pomerleau, from fall 2016 until spring 2017. Check out the WORKS page to learn more about potential road obstructions at the Jacques Cartier Bridge.
- Moment Factory is working on the artistic design and analyzing different data sources (e.g., traffic, weather conditions, social networks) so that the bridge will light up with the city’s activity.
- The system installation work will be conducted from fall 2016 to spring 2017.
French version only: Évaluation des effets environnementaux
Join us in 2017 to celebrate this Montreal icon in all its illuminated glory!