Project Control Officer – PCO
31 May 2021
Permanent and unionized position
Full-time – 37.5 h/week
2020 annual salary: $72,086.82 to $90,202.68
As a manager of important infrastructure, The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (the Corporation) is a federal Crown corporation established in 1978 that is responsible for the Jacques Cartier Bridge, the original Champlain Bridge, the Champlain Bridge Estacade, the Île des Sœurs Bypass Bridge, the federal sections of the Bonaventure Expressway and the Honoré Mercier Bridge, as well as the Melocheville Tunnel.
The Corporation manages, maintains, and repairs these important Greater Montreal structures to ensure the safe passage of thousands of users every day. The Corporation also ensures that its critical structures remain safe, fully functional and aesthetically pleasing both today and in the future. It carries out construction, repair and reinforcement projects on the infrastructure under its responsibility and oversees the operation and maintenance of these structures.
Reporting to the Manager, Budgets and Management Information, the selected candidate will support the Project Directors and work with coordinators and sector leads by monitoring the costs, scope, baseline schedule and baseline budget for assigned projects. The Project Control Officer (PCO) provides expert assistance to the Project Director and project teams for their monitoring and control tasks by using existing tools and developing support tools as needed. The candidate will have to work on optimization and development projects and help implement new procedures and work methods to ensure management information is regularly updated. You will also contribute to the analysis of information and data received and must anticipate issues and trends while proposing solutions. The candidate will represent the Finance Division in relation to project data integrity and controls.
- Work closely with the project and planning teams to implement project plans, specifically the project baseline schedules and budgets.
- Apply the existing project planning and monitoring process and issue recommendations for use based on best practices and the Corporation’s context.
- Ensure documentation quality by adhering to the prevailing project management methodology and standards.
- When asked by the Director, Projects, attend kick-off, follow-up and close-out meetings related to projects and/or contracts and ensure that budget and monitoring records are archived in accordance with the Corporation’s current procedures.
- Support the Project Director to monitor the work progress and budgets of prefeasibility studies and projects according to standards to identify trends and/or imminent risks.
- Support the sector leads, coordinators, and the Project Director by regularly tracking activity progress and the budget status of assigned projects to verify that they are being completed according to the baseline schedule and baseline budget and while ensuring quality and the satisfaction of internal clients.
- Regularly update different registers.
- In close collaboration with the coordinator, help prepare requests for changes to the project.
- Enter activity progress reports and contract financial status reports into the SAP system or ensure quality if these reports are provided by a third party.
- Update the project schedule using existing tools.
- Help produce accountability documents for senior managers related to projects and major work.
- Produce exception reports using existing project-based management systems/tools.
- Help optimize tools that support the control of contract management.
- Help analyze project-related risks.
- Suggest and/or carry out project monitoring tasks.
- Support the Director with project monitoring using key performance indicators and dashboards.
- Provide and ensure support for sector leads in relation to their contract management with respect to the use of different project management tools.
- Collect and compile data on costs and prepare regular and special reports, when required, for the monitoring committees.
- Help the sector leads, coordinators and project directors track cost changes in order to identify, measure and qualify variances in relation to the project’s baseline budget and the approved corporate budget plan.
- Seek funds if required and prepare budget transfers as needed, in collaboration with the Finance team.
- Help reconcile project budgets with the budgets of the Corporation.
- Work with different stakeholders on quarterly and end-of-year budgetary process activities.
- Carry out all other tasks or responsibilities related to your position.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Have at least ten years of experience, including at least five years in cost control.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in administration, engineering, information technology, project management or a relevant discipline.
- Excellent mastery of the Microsoft Office suite (advanced Excel, intermediate PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of project management and budget tracking/control principles.
- Excellent knowledge of PMBOK (PMP certification an asset).
- Knowledge of SAP Business ByDesign (project management module) is an asset.
- Knowledge of MS Project and Project Web Application (PWA) is an asset.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and team work skills.
- Resourcefulness and ability to independently perform your duties.
- Analysis and synthesis skills, thoroughness and discipline.
- Influential leadership.
- Organizational skills and effective time and priority management.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and effective manner with stakeholders at different seniority levels.
- Diplomacy and ability to adapt to change.
- Mastery of English and French (spoken and written).
WHAT WE OFFER
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant work environment at a strong organization whose key values are team work, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
We offer a workplace that is accessible by public transit and car (parking available), a competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a pension plan with the federal public service.
Join the JCCBI family and send your CV and cover letter to:
Martin Mercier, CRHA, Partner and Director of Recruitment
Phone Mtl: 514-931-9880
Quebec City: 418-627-8080