Intern, Construction Directorate
31 May 2019
Internship position at a unionized workplace – 37.5 hrs./week
Hourly pay between $18.50 and $20.50, depending on the candidate’s experience
Length of internship: 4 months
At The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI), our teams work together to keep users safe by managing, maintaining and rehabilitating our infrastructure, optimizing traffic flow, and respecting the environment.
Get on the right track and help us grow at JCCBI, where many great projects are waiting for you!
Reporting directly to the Director, Construction, the engineering intern for the Construction Directorate actively helps implement and monitor various construction contracts included in the Corporation’s major maintenance program. The intern also verifies the compliance of work with the requirements of contractual specifications and drawings.
The engineering intern in the Construction Directorate will also work closely with the monitoring firms and testing laboratories that the Corporation hires every year to monitor and control work quality.
- Assist the Director and Construction Engineers by providing relevant information to prepare various analysis tables, methods or reports and following up on contracts and/or projects.
- Ensure that construction contracts are compliant with the requirements of the Corporation’s drawings and specifications.
- Supervise tasks done by consultants that the Corporation hires to monitor the construction work.
- Visit active work sites and validate information entered in daily reports.
- Ensure that contractual modifications are added to as-built drawings.
- Attend project meetings and track deliverables and deadline adherence.
- Help the Engineers, Construction coordinate projects.
- Review notices of change and amendments.
- Read and comment on the monthly progress report for construction contracts.
- Help the Construction Engineers prepare budgets and produce regular progress reports.
- Participate in the acceptance of work inspections and follow up on defects.
- Attend post-mortem meetings and track as-built drawings.
- Prepare calls for proposals to award monitoring and laboratory testing contracts.
- Provide support to obtain various permits/agreements with partners.
- Work closely with the Corporation’s partners.
- Perform all other related tasks.
- Be in a bachelor’s program in civil or construction engineering (internship 2 or 3).
- Have ASP certification to work at a construction site.
- Be familiar with the standards for structures (bridges and viaducts) and roads as well as environment and site safety standards.
- Have good writing skills and be able to understand and interpret drawings and specifications.
- Be able to access structures using fixed or moving devices (i.e., the candidate must not be afraid of heights or confined spaces).
- Mastery of written and spoken French and ability to communicate verbally in English.
- Know how to use MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access) and MS Project.
- Have a class 5 driver’s licence.
- Have an excellent ability to work on a team.
- Show initiative and independence.
- Have good organizational skills.
- Have good time and priority management.
- Ability to meet goals and deadlines.
WHAT WE OFFER
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant work environment at a strong organization whose key values are team work, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
Send your CV, cover letter, and transcript to [email protected]