Lawyer, Legal Affairs Department
1 September 2020
Temporary full-time position– 37.5 hrs./week
(2 years – Maternity leave replacement)
As a manager of important infrastructure, The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (the Corporation) is a federal Crown corporation established in 1978 that is responsible for the Jacques Cartier Bridge, the Champlain Bridge, the Champlain Bridge Ice Control Structure, the Île des Sœurs Bypass Bridge, the federal sections of Bonaventure Expressway and the Honoré Mercier Bridge, as well as the Melocheville Tunnel.
Every day, the Corporation ensures a safe drive for thousands of users by managing, maintaining and repairing this important infrastructure for Greater Montreal. The Corporation also ensures that these critical structures remain safe, fully functional and aesthetically pleasing both today and in the future. It conducts construction, rehabilitation and reinforcement projects on the infrastructure under its responsibility and oversees the operation and maintenance of these structures.
Reporting to the Director, Legal Affairs, the incumbent’s main responsibilities will be to provide support to the entire Legal Affairs division and to review legal documents. The incumbent will also play an advisory role to the various departments of the Corporation on various legal issues.
- Reviewing legal documents, including call for tender and request for proposal documents for construction contracts and other types of contracts;
- Advising the various departments of the Corporation on matters having legal implications;
- Receiving and analyzing the claims addressed to the Corporation by third parties, forwarding them to the responsible contractors as well as to the insurers thereof or negotiating the settlement of such claims on behalf of the Corporation;
- Participating in the processing of access to information requests;
- Assisting in the update of standard contract documents related to construction or professional services contracts;
- Providing support in the review of ad hoc requests for the use of the Corporation’s structures (e.g. installation of advance warning signs or lane closures by third parties) and issuing letters of authorization;
- Following up on external mandates, notably in the case of legal proceedings to which the Corporation is a party;
- Providing punctual support in the management of leases and permits concerning the Corporation’s lands and structures;
- Organizing training for the Corporation’s employees, including engineers and technicians, on various legal issues;
- Performing all other related duties.
- Lawyer registered on the Tableau de l’Ordre du Barreau du Québec;
- Possess three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience;
- Experience in construction law (asset);
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel and Outlook);
- Thoroughness and attention to detail;
- Possess very good writing skills;
- Sense of organization, time management and priorities;
- Demonstrate initiative and autonomy;
- Be respectful of objectives and deadlines;
- Participate and contribute to the team’s efforts;
- Ability to exercise good judgment in decision making;
- Proficiency in French and English (spoken and written).
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant environment in a solid organization whose key values are teamwork, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
The job location is easily accessible by public transit and automobile (parking available). We offer competitive compensation and a full benefits package, which includes a federal public service pension plan.
Join the Bridge family; send your resume and cover letter to:
Mrs. Dominique Tardif
ZSA Legal Recruitment