Senior engineer, Expert (Studies)
Unionized temporary position (March 31st 2021) – Full time – 37.5 hrs. /week
Salary 2017 according to experience: 98 594, 01 $ to 109 548, 90 $
At Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI), our teams work together to ensure the safe passage of users by managing, maintaining and rehabilitating infrastructures while optimizing traffic flow and respecting the environment.
Join JCCBI for an exciting career and interesting challenges!
Reporting to the Director, Expert, the incumbent will work closely with the Inspection department to collect and manage data on the condition and load-bearing capacity of structures. He will play a key role in attaining performance objectives for the Corporation’s assets. He will order, receive and revise reports for various capacity assessments. He will provide technical assistance to managers by recommending actions to manage the risk and long-term viability of the Corporation’s assets.
He must have extensive experience, be active in defining the processes, criteria and standards specific to the Corporation’s structures, to be applied in load-bearing capacity assessments and the approval of special permits. He makes a key contribution by adding technical depth to the preparation and execution of professional service contracts for managing assets. Using his expertise and in collaboration with engineers in other departments, he will be able to check and challenge the technical quality of deliverables from consultants, specifically load-bearing capacity assessments and inspection reports as well as preliminary design studies, preparatory studies, drawings and specifications.
General responsibilities of the Senior Engineer
- Provide technical expertise in structural capacity analysis for asset management as well as for the Corporation’s major maintenance projects;
- Carry out in-depth technical review of load-bearing capacity assessments and special permit analysis methodologies;
- Help develop criteria, standards and processes for assessing capacity and modelling specific to each structure;
- Help review preparatory and design studies produced by consultants for the Engineering department to ensure optimum results from the suggested solutions;
- Help update and continuously improve the requirements and standards for making changes to inventory, inspections, load-bearing capacity assessments, and recommendations;
- Take part in the recommendation management process;
- Analyze studies and reports prepared by consultants and recommend courses of action;
- Act as the in-house subject matter expert and recommend priority action plans or enhance solutions that have already been proposed;
- Provide active coaching to department engineers and technicians on the technical aspect;
- Initiate, develop and support new business intelligence approaches or processes to improve the department’s efficiency;
- Take part in various committees related to his field or in roundtable discussions.
- Manage the load-bearing capacity assessment/special permit issue component across Asset Management projects. This includes planning organizational budgets, preparing terms of reference, defining services and deliverables, planning services, controlling the budget, costs, deadlines and quality as well as analyzing and processing contract addenda for contract management;
- Help prepare terms of reference, in awarding Engineering contracts, for project briefs, preparatory studies, drawings and specifications as well as manage asset inventory changes;
- Assist management in preparing budgets.
Risk management and communication of asset performance
- Help develop, implement and follow up on practices, processes and tools for the asset management and risk management system for the Corporation’s assets;
- Review capacity assessment and inspection reports and technical notices prepared by consultants, make recommendations to the director, approve measures to be taken and follow up on their implementation;
- Assist the director by providing relevant information in preparing various reports and documents for Senior Management.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with a minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in engineering structures, including ten (10) years in the design and load-bearing capacity assessment of bridge structures;
- Membership in good standing in the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ);
- Concrete experience in studying load-bearing capacity, designing and rehabilitating bridge structures;
- Fully proficient in Canadian codes and standards for the design and construction of bridges and engineering structures;
- Completed the Ministère des Transports, de la Mobilité durable et de l’Électrification des transports (MTMDET) courses on bridge and engineering structure inspection, evaluation, maintenance and design manuals;
- Familiar with standard structural design and analysis software;
- Proven ability to oversee and manage assigned contracts, including assessing work, holding meetings, and negotiating payments;
- Experience in project management and estimating engineering fees;
- Ability to access structures using fixed or mobile devices; ability to work at height and in confined spaces;
- Knowledge of applicable and accepted construction safety standards;
- Working knowledge of MS Project, Excel, Access, Word, Outlook et Internet Explorer;
- Ability to manage several large-scale projects concurrently;
- Developed ability to share knowledge in a constructive way;
- Very good oral and written communication skills, ability to communicate tactfully, clearly, concisely and effectively with stakeholders at various levels;
- Strong interpersonal skills and team-oriented mindset;
- Good judgment and decision-making skills;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Good organization and time management skills, and ability to prioritize;
- Ability to meet goals and deadlines;
- Resourcefulness, intellectual curiosity and strong research skills;
- Ability to adhere to the Corporation’s objectives, and uphold its mission and values;
- Proficiency in written and spoken French, ability to communicate in English (written and spoken).
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant environment in a solid organization whose key values are teamwork, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
The job location is easily accessible by public transit and automobile (parking available). We offer competitive compensation and a full benefits package, which includes a federal public service pension plan.
Join the Bridge family; send us your résumé and cover letter to:
Madame Karine Robert
Octave Maecenas, recrutement & conseils S.E.N.C.